How to Begin
Interested in beginning an Ashtanga practice?
Welcome to Ashtanga Yoga Minneapolis! If you’re interested in learning Ashtanga, the Mysore format is perfect because it allows for private instruction within the context of a group class. Every student practices the poses that they have learned at their own pace, and brand-new students have my full attention during the length of their practice. Here are some important things to note:
- Please contact me (Ellie, here) before beginning. Brand new students must observe about 45 minutes of class before setting a date to start, and on the day that you observe we can chat and I can answer any questions you have. 1a. If you are newly moved to the Twin Cities but have an existing Ashtanga practice, contact me to introduce yourself and we’ll set a date for you to start!
- You do not need to have practiced yoga, or any specific kind of yoga, in order to begin. All you need is a willingness to learn.
- Your first few practices will be quite short, if you’re used to a 60- or 90-minute class format. Expect to be on your mat for 25-30 minutes your first day, and that includes about ten minutes of rest. Not to worry, this time will increase.
- AYM operates on a monthly-only basis, and I ask students to commit to practicing at least three times per week. This will give you a good chance to experience the benefits, and what it’s all about. Your first practice on the first day will feel very, very different than one month in– stick with it.
- You will need your own yoga mat. I can recommend a good one if you’re unsure where to look, just ask.
- Come well-hydrated, but please do not drink water during class.
- Come with an empty stomach, a clean body and clean clothes, and please do not wear any scents.
I look forward to sharing this practice with you!